Monday, March 9, 2009

Skeptism in Horror


I recently watched "The Unborn" which was a mediocre horror film at best. I wondered to myself if this was due to the film itself or rather due to me. I am a skeptic and in horror films skeptics are always wrong. I understand the concept of fiction and that one must suspend disbelief to an extent but i have a hard time not over analyzing the stupidity that can be found in such films. I fear it has limited my enjoyment for such films trying to over analyze every little nuance . One must take these films with a grain of salt and realize unless they are calling themselves documentaries they are total works of fiction. The ones which truly annoy me, however are the ones acclaiming based on a true story especially ones which are of supernatural design. I understand its a selling point, but it is false advertisement in my book. AT best they should say "loosely" based on true events. Since alot of the world will except it in its entirety as truth as opposed to a work of fiction .

The stories in which people make claims that these events could be real are the ones which annoy me the most. All the ones based on religious concepts and exorcisms . It seems to me that these lead credence to these things being factual when they are far from it. Maybe the reason I over analyze those films is because it is what i would do if someone was making the claim in real life situations. In a horror movie nine times out of ten the skeptic is the one who is wrong or crazy thus making it harder for me to relate to the main character which in general is the believer. I attempt to make it clear in my head to be against the skeptics in films , because more than likely they are the ones who are wrong. I just worry people take this approach to many times in real life. With these so called based on real events movies it just encourages this sort of lazy thinking and ignorance. The counter argument to this is that if people see these events as works of fiction then maybe it can allow them to realize that the likely hood of them being true is diminished.

Overall I must set my skeptical nature aside when I indulge in horror movie. So I am able to enjoy it and avoid over analysis. I suggest that this should be a technique used by all skeptics when it comes to works of fiction or we shall get no enjoyment from them. We have to be realistic ourselves and know its fiction for our pleasure . So fellow skeptics enjoy the films and root for the wackos in them just do not cross the line from fantasy to reality. In that we shall be safe from the machinations of those who would say we are overlly sensitive to all things which are beyond belief. I now must go and watch some more horror movies, since they are one of my fave genres of film and enjoy them for what they are as opposed to picking every piece of them apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment